The Governor lookout walking track
Mount Kaputar National Park
Enjoy scenic mountain views over Grattai wilderness area from The Governor lookout walking track.
- Mount Kaputar National Park in Country NSW
- 0.45km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 2
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to The Governor lookout walking track can be closed due to snow and ice
- The weather in the area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
With spellbinding scenic views over the magnificent Nandewar and Grattai wilderness areas, The Governor lookout walking track is a great addition to a car tour of Mount Kaputar National Park. The short accessible boardwalk from the carpark makes it a quick and easy stop over, ideal for families, groups and school excursions.
From the lookout, take in the dramatic volcanic landscape and distinctive rock formation of The Governor. On a clear autumn day, the scenic mountain views go on forever and in winter you’ll see dramatic snow-capped peaks. It’s an ideal vantage spot to enjoy some birdwatching as wedge-tailed eagles are often seen circling above.
Experienced walkers will enjoy the challenge of The Governor Summit (Corrunbral Borawah) walking track while skilled rock climbers will love the chance to test themselves.
The Governor lookout
The Governor lookout is in Mount Kaputar National Park on The Governor lookout walking track. It’s a great spot for breathtaking views of a wild landscape shaped by volcanic activity.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (29)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (3)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (20)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (16)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (6)