Round Mountain Hut walking track
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Round Mountain Hut walking track.
Grade 5Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
Quality of markings
No directional signage
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Round Mountain Hut walking track is in the central precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there, from Khancoban:
- Drive along Alpine Way for around 5.8km to the Swampy Plains Creek Road turn-off
- Continue for about 39km until you reach the Round Mountain trackhead
- Khancoban is around 108km from Jindabyne along the Alpine Way
- There's no vehicle access to the trackhead of Round Mountain Hut walking track in winter, and road may close in extreme weather.
- It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Parking is available in a large carpark adjacent to Cabramurra Road at the trackhead.
Maps and downloads
Cycling is permitted in the Jagungal Wilderness Area only along the following trails:
- Round Mountain trail
- Dargans trail
- Hellhole Creek trail
- Valentine trail
- Grey Mare trail
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily, 7 days a week. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 02 6076 9382
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass