Round Mountain Hut walking track
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
Fire affected area
Some areas of this park were affected by fire in 2019/2020. You’ll notice some changes to the landscape, as well as signs of recovery. Some areas may remain closed for longer to allow habitat to recover or because we’re repairing park infrastructure. Stay safe with these after-fire tips for visitors.
Round Mountain Hut walking track winds through the Jagungal Wilderness Area in central Kosciuszko National Park. A great Snowy Mountains walk or ride, it offers view and spring wildflowers on its way to the rustic hut.
- Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
- 4km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
If you're planning to hire a free Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) from one of these locations, please wait to fill in your form in person at that location.
- Opening times
- The section of road between Khancoban and Cabramurra, including access to Round Mountain Hut walking track, is closed due to snow between the June and October long weekends.
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, bike repair kit, clothes for all weather conditions
- Please note
- If you're walking in the Jagungal Wilderness it's a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
- Fill in the free trip intention form and hire a PLB from the Tumut Visitor Centre or Snowy Region Visitor Centre.
- Weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable. Come well-prepared for your visit and read our alpine safety tips before you set out.
Sadly, the corrugated iron hut was sadly destroyed in the 2019/20 bushfires.
Enjoy exquisite scenery and fascinating alpine heritage along Round Mountain Hut walking track. Starting from the signposted track head off Swampy Plains Road, this short summer Snowy Mountains walk, or mountain bike ride, takes you through a beautiful sub-alpine habitat into Jagungal Wilderness Area.
Time your visit with wildflower season, when the walking track comes alive with buttercups, billy buttons, waxy bluebells and daisies. If you’re walking between April and October, take a good look at the olive-barked black sallee trees – their star-shaped clusters of flower buds are simply beautiful.
If you're well-prepared, this track can be experienced as a difficult 41km mountain bike loop, or Grade 5 overnight hike for self-sufficient, experienced hikers. A steep descent beyond the hut site leads to the open valley of the Tumut River headwaters. Join Hellhole Creek trail, then Dargans trail, before looping back to your start point.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
An iconic endangered species, the southern corroboree frog, found only in Kosciuszko National Park, faces the grave threat of extinction. Saving Our Species aims to prevent this from happening by battling chytrid fungus, protecting frog habitat from pests, and fostering a captive breeding program.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass