Rock Platform walk - Depot Beach
Murramarang National Park
Rock Platform walk near Depot Beach is a short walk to fascinating rockpools offering excellent birdwatching and scenic ocean views of the South Coast, just north of Batemans Bay.
- Murramarang National Park in South Coast
- 1km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr 30min
- Grade 4
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch or whale watch
The rock platforms near Depot Beach, form part of Batemans Marine Park, and offer a rare opportunity to observe the fascinating marine worlds of the intertidal zone. Only accessible at low tide, it’s a perfect place for the kids to discover the wonders of nature.
Following the short walk, stop to take in the unending views of unspoilt beaches and rocky headlands. Here the spotted gum forests reach right down to the ocean. The nearby Grasshopper Island is a shorebird rookery and makes for excellent birdwatching. Sooty oyster catchers, white-faced storm petrels and even little penguins can be seen here.
Discover the seething mass of life within the rockpools, such as sea urchins, crabs and tiny fish. With one eye in the watery worlds and another on the incoming tide, head back for a hearty barbecue at Depot Beach picnic area.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Ulladulla office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm.
- 02 4454 9500
- Lot 9 Blackburn Industrial Estate, 6 Coller Road Ulladulla NSW 2539
- in Murramarang National Park in the South Coast region
Murramarang National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay and display machines - cash and credit cards accepted. Card only at Pretty Beach.Buy annual pass
Things to do (31)
- Aboriginal culture (1)
- Beach (3)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (16)
- Canoeing/paddling (4)
- Fishing (6)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Sightseeing (16)
- Snorkelling and scuba (7)
- Surfing (3)
- Swimming (13)
- Walking (20)
- Waterfalls (1)