Red Top lookout and boardwalk
Mungo National Park
An easy drive from Mungo Visitor Centre, Red Top lookout is an ideal spot to view the effects of erosion on Mungo National Park’s textured landscape and the drying Willandra Lakes.
- Mungo National Park in Murray-Riverina
- 0.1km return
- Time suggested
- 10 - 15min
- Grade 2
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- This park is in a remote location, please ensure you are thoroughly prepared, bring appropriate clothing and equipment and advise a family member or friend of your travel plans
Mungo is one of a handful of places where you can see the extraordinary effects of erosion on the landscape. Red Top lookout and boardwalk is an unbeatable vantage point, offering bird's eye views of the park's remarkable deep ravines, rippling patterns and rich textures.
From Mungo Visitor Centre, it's an easy half-hour drive to the lookout via the Mungo Self-guided Drive tour. Along the way, you'll find signs discussing the long-term climate changes that led to the lakes in Mungo National Park drying out.
Don't forget your camera as there some attention-grabbing views, continue along the drive to nearby Rosewood picnic area for a picnic lunch.
Take a virtual tour of Red Top lookout and boardwalk captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Mungo National Park joint management program
Protecting and preserving the Aboriginal culture and heritage of Mungo National Park, part of the Willandra Lakes Region World Heritage Area, is a joint effort. NPWS collaborates with representative elders from three local Aboriginal tribes to help manage this special and ancient place.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Buronga office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 03 5021 8900
- 4 Melaleuca Street, Buronga NSW 2739
- in Mungo National Park in the Murray-Riverina region
Mungo National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. Fees are payable through self-registration envelopes outside Mungo Visitor Centre. Different fees apply for commercial tour operators and vehicles with 8 seats or more.Buy annual pass
Things to do (19)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Aboriginal culture (14)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (5)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Cycling (2)
- Geotourism (3)
- Historic heritage (7)
- Other experiences (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (3)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (8)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (5)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)