Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Porcupine walk is a short, family-friendly walking track at Perisher in Kosciuszko National Park. Spot wildflowers as you climb to Porcupine Rocks for breathtaking views of the Thredbo Valley and Main Range.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
- No wheelchair access
- 5.7km return
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
Porcupine walk is open to walkers in summer and for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing in winter.
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen, snacks, sturdy shoes, insect repellent, clothes for all weather conditions, topographic map, gps, compass
- Please note
- In winter, this track is blanketed in snow and forms part of the popular Perisher Range cross-country ski trails. You can also snowshoe along Rock Creek.
- Please take extreme care if you choose to climb Porcupine Rocks. Rocks can shift and may be slippery, and there’s a sheer drop.
- Guided flower and photo tours often run in summer.
- Check the weather before you set out as walking tracks can close in poor weather. This track is exposed so be prepared for high UV and changeable conditions.
Set out along this moderate walk from the Perisher Valley reservoir carpark, a short detour from Kosciuszko Road.
The formed walking track follows Rock Creek before steadily climbing through open woodland to around 1900m - the beginning of the alpine zone. As you get higher, wet heath and alpine mint bush give way to hardy snowgrass, snow gums and rock boulders.
Continue straight at the junctions with Link track and Wheatley Link track and follow the Porcupine walk signs uphill to a broad gap. You’ll be treated to panoramic views of the Main Range. The track bends left and scrambles over rocks to reach the large outcrop of granite boulders on the ridge, known as Porcupine Rocks. From here, you can enjoy spectacular views to Thredbo River Valley and Bullocks Flat below and back to Perisher and the Main Range.
Come in early summer to enjoy seasonal wildflowers like yellow paper daisies, billy buttons, or purple flowering heath along the early section of the walk. Kids can try the free Porcupine track kids quest app, which has 7 challenges that reveal fascinating finds along the track.
Try the Porcupine walking track kids quest in Perisher during the warmer months when there's no snow on the ground. Walk up across the gently sloping valley and try to complete the quest. The 7 challenges reveal fascinating finds along the track.
Things to do:
Swap your skis for snowshoes to explore the winter wonderland of Perisher ski resort at your own pace, along scenic Rock Creek in Kosciuszko National Park.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass