Patons Hut walking track
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Patons Hut walking track.
Grade 5Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
No directional signage
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Patons Hut walking track is in the central precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there, from Khancoban:
- Drive northwest along Alpine Way for around 5.8km to the Swampy Plains Creek Road turn-off
- Take Swampy Plains Creek Road towards Cabramurra for about 28km to Tooma Reservoir/Dam
- The trackhead and parking will be on your right
Park entry points
- Dargals trail head carpark See on map
- It's recommended that all vehicles carry snow chains from the June to October long weekends. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Parking is available adjacent to the trackhead at Tooma Dam/Reservoir.
The closest public toilets are located inside the gate, near the carpark at the Tooma Reservoir trailhead. You’ll also find a toilet at Patons Hut itself.
Maps and downloads
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily, 7 days a week. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass