Mutawintji Gorge walking track
Mutawintji National Park
Mutawintji Gorge walking track takes you on a hike through one of the park’s most scenic gorges. Enjoy a picnic at the end or simply spend some time taking in the view.
- Mutawintji National Park in Outback NSW
- 6km return
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 5
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
Please follow the white markers that lead the way along this walk.
Explore the spectacular rangeland country of Mutawintji National Park along Mutawintji Gorge walking track. Your journey through one of the park’s most scenic gorges ends at a peaceful pool surrounded by soaring red cliffs.
It’s a moderately challenging walk, and at three hours return makes for a good day hike. You can spend as long as you like at the pool, admiring the beauty of this special country and taking in the scenic view. You could even take some lunch and a thermos to enjoy an outback picnic.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Mutawintji National Park joint management program
Located in semi-arid lands near Broken Hill, Mutawintji National Park, Mutawintji Historic Site and Mutawintji Nature Reserve are all rich in Aboriginal history and culture. NSW National Parks and the Mutawintji Board of Management are working together to ensure their preservation.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Broken Hill office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
- 08 8084 2880
- 183 Argent Street, Broken Hill NSW 2880
- in Mutawintji National Park in the Outback NSW region
Mutawintji National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (10)
- Aboriginal culture (5)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (2)
- Cultural heritage (3)
- Historic heritage (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (2)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sightseeing (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (7)