Barrington Tops National Park
Moderate Mountaineer-Glowang trail, near Wangat Road, offers scenic mountain views across Gloucester Tops wilderness in Barrington Tops National Park, between Gloucester and Dungog.
- 15km one-way
- Time suggested
- 12hrs - 1 day
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat.
- There is limited or no drinking water on the ridge so ensure you bring enough for your trip.
- Check the weather before you set out as the road to Mountaineer-Glowang trail can become boggy when it rains.
- If you’re bushwalking in this park it’s a good idea to bring a topographic map, compass and GPS.
Pining to get outdoors? If you love a challenging walk with spectacular views across pristine wilderness, then look no further than Mountaineer-Glowang trail. This day-long walk, from Wangat Road, winds through a spectacular array of landscapes, highlighting the best on offer in the southern region of Barrington Tops National Park.
It’s all mountain peaks and majestic views as you follow a rippling ridgeline. You’ll climb several peaks along this track, including The Mountaineer, with plenty of inspiring views across the vast wilderness region. Passing through blue gum, messmate, and Antarctic beech forests, you’ll notice how the vegetation changes dramatically with altitude.
After joining the Glowang trail, you’ll enter rainforests of coachwood and sassafrass, before climbing steeply with more spectacular views over the deep Gloucester River gorge. At Mount Nelson, the track descends, giving way to open woodlands before arriving at Gloucester Tops picnic area for a well-earned break.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Gloucester office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6538 5300
- 59 Church Street, Gloucester NSW 2422
- in Barrington Tops National Park in the North Coast and Country NSW regions
Barrington Tops National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (21)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (6)
- Cycling (1)
- Environmental appreciation/study (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Sightseeing (13)
- Walking (12)
- Waterfalls (7)
- WilderQuest tours (1)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)