Mount Exmouth walking track
Warrumbungle National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Mount Exmouth walking track .
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
5 - 7hrs
Quality of markings
Short steep hills
Quality of path
Rough track, many obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Mount Exmouth walking track is in Warrumbungle National Park. To get there:
- Follow the signs to Warrumbungle National Park from Newell Highway
- Follow John Renshaw Parkway for approximately 33km into the centre of the park
- Turn left off John Renshaw Parkway to Split Rock carpark
- Follow the signs east to Warrumbungle National Park, following John Renshaw Parkway.
- On entering the park, continue along John Renshaw Parkway for approximately 5km.
- Turn right off John Renshaw Parkway to Split Rock carpark
Park entry points
- Split Rock carpark See on map
Parking is available at Split Rock carpark.
Best times to visit
You may experience a great range of temperatures on any day in the park. In summer it's generally hot in the daytime and temperatures often exceed 30C. In contrast, winter can be very cold and the temperature drops below freezing at night. Rainfall is also highly variable, ranging from drought to prolonged wet periods. Less rain falls on the western side of the park than on the eastern side. It rains most from December to February and the annual average rainfall is 720mm. Thunderstorms are common in mid to late summer.
During early spring wildflowers are in bloom, including a huge variety of golden wattle flowers With a more moderate climate, spring is a great time to get out and camp under the stars .
Weather, temperature and rainfall
15°C and 30°C
0°C and 15°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
Rock climbing is permitted throughout the park (except Breadknife), and you'll need to register at the visitor centre before you head out.
Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Warrumbungle NP Visitor Information Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6825 4364
- 4261 John Renshaw Parkway, Warrumbungle NSW 2828
- in Warrumbungle National Park in the Country NSW region
Warrumbungle National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day.Buy annual pass