Monument Hill walking track
Arakoon National Park
Featuring stunning coastal views, the easy Monument Hill walk takes in the historic monument built for German gaol internees before finishing at Little Bay picnic area.
- 1.4km one-way
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch.
- Take care on this path as the casuarina needles can be slippery and there are some steep sections.
- Mermaid Pools, near this walking track, is not recommended for swimming. Large waves wash over the area and visitors can be swept off the rocks.
If you take a walk along the Monument Hill walking track, you’ll be rewarded with the sight of casuarinas in the heathlands, spectacular coastal views, and the fresh sea breeze upon your cheeks as you approach the summit.
The monument itself was built as a tribute to German internees who passed away in Trial Bay Gaol during World War I. Along the walk you’ll see many flannel flowers, planted by the internees because they reminded them of edelweiss and of home.
If you do feel like a longer walk, you can join the Bridle trailand loop back via Powder Magazine walking track, and if you’d like a break, you can enjoy a picnic or go for a paddle around Little Bay picnic area.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.