Arakoon National Park
Bridle Trail walking track is an easy short walk offering a glimpse of the historic heritage of Trial Bay Gaol in Arakoon National Park near Kempsey.
- Arakoon National Park
- 0.6km one-way
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Grade 2
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
Retrace history along an easy walking track, Bridle trail, near Trial Bay Gaol in Arakoon National Park, 5km east of South West Rocks. In days gone by, horses would haul the massive steam crane used in the granite quarry during the construction of the ill-fated breakwater.
You won’t see any exhausted horses along this trail today. Accessed from Little Bay picnic area, this historic short track is now a beautiful walk through regenerated coastal heathlands and majestic gums. Passing cool patches of rainforest, look for remnants of the old iron water pipe that was used to supply water to the gaol.
If you feel like exploring a little more, an easy track links to Powder Magazine walking track.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Trial Bay Gaol Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6566 6168
- 73 Trial Bay Gaol Road, Arakoon NSW 2431
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.