Powder Magazine walking track
Arakoon National Park
Powder Magazine walking track is a short walk near Trial Bay, in Arakoon National Park, offering scenic views and historic heritage.
- Arakoon National Park in North Coast
- 1.1km one-way
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
Remember to bring your binoculars if you want to birdwatch or whale watch.
Powder Magazine track is an excellent short walk to the historic powder magazines on the headland at Arakoon National Park on the North Coast. Only one of the constructions still stands, but you can still admire the work of early Australian stone masons and whilst taking in the inspiring views.
Detouring from the easy Monument Hill walking track, the track leads through casuarinas, banksias and craggy old bloodwoods. Crossing small brides through moist gullies of tea tree and palms, you’ll catch glimpses of Trial Bay and perhaps a majestic sea-eagle cruising the coast.
The medium track meanders through a patch of cool rainforest with large glossy vines before meeting up with the Bridle trail. Cool off with a refreshing swim at Trial Bay or enjoy a refreshing drink at Trial Bay Restaurant.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Arakoon National Park in the North Coast region
Arakoon National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (23)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Canoeing/paddling (2)
- Cultural heritage (2)
- Fishing (3)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (1)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (12)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (1)
- Swimming (4)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)