Maitland Bay track
Bouddi National Park
Maitland Bay track is one of the central coast's most popular bushwalks. This short, steep walk takes you downhill to the beautiful Maitland Bay and its shipwreck.
- Bouddi National Park in Sydney and surrounds
- 2km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
Park entry fees apply in the Putty Beach area only
- Please note
- This walk requires a moderate fitness level as it’s quite steep and includes some steps.
- You might like to stop for a swim at Maitland Bay, so bring your swimmers and towel. It's also a good idea to bring insect repellant to ward off mosquitoes.
Maitland Bay track is one of Bouddi National Park’s most popular bushwalks. This short, steep walking track begins at Maitland Bay Information Centre. It then winds downhill to the secluded Maitland Bay, past the Bullimah Spur track junction, rock landings, gullies, Hawkesbury sandstone and Bouddi Grand Deep rainforest.
Stop to swim, look for shells or simply dip your feet in the water. If it’s low tide, head to the bay’s eastern end to see remains of the PS Maitland, tragically wrecked in 1898. Allow 15–20 minutes to walk down the hill and 30–40 minutes to get back up. Some find it tough going on the return, so you may wish to walk the flatter 3km to Putty Beach and have someone pick you up there.
Take a virtual tour of Maitland Bay track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- in Bouddi National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Bouddi National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day only in the Putty Beach area. The park has coin-operated pay and display machines - please bring correct coins.Buy annual pass