Griffiths walking track
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
Escape from the city and get back to nature on Griffiths walking track, offering outstanding views, great bushwalking and amazing birdwatching opportunities.
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
- 8km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- There is no drinking water available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- The walking opportunities in this park are suitable for experienced bushwalkers who are comfortable undertaking self-reliant hiking
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
Start Griffiths walking track at Barren Grounds picnic area and before you know it, you’ll be standing at Illawarra lookout taking in the spectacular views. Your journey then takes you through the diverse vegetation of Barren Grounds – heathland, woodland, rainforest. In spring, you’ll be treated to the vibrant display of wildflowers, and in winter, large yellow swamp banksias in bloom. On the heath, you're most likely to come across honeyeaters and southern emu wrens. And, if you're lucky, you might even spot a ground parrot or bristlebird.
The walk continues across to the dramatic cliffs lining Kangaroo Valley, with view of the coastline beyond. Then, after a climb up to Saddleback Trig, it’s time to take a break, enjoy the surrounding views and a snack. From there, the track continues to one of the highlights of this walk, a lovely naturally formed stone bridge across Lamonds Creek. After crossing the bridge, continue along the trail back to Barren Grounds picnic area.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.