Barren Grounds picnic area
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
Barren Grounds picnic area is a secluded spot away from the crowds and the gateway to discovering the wonders of Barren Grounds Nature Reserve.
- Picnic areas
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please be well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
Set among bloodwood and silvertop ash trees, Barren Grounds picnic area is a secluded spot away from the crowds. It makes a great day trip for the family or a scenic stop on your drive through Jamberoo Pass.
Spend the afternoon here and enjoy this peaceful setting. Spread out your lunch on one of the picnic tables and listen to the sounds of the bush coming to life, with wallabies passing in the distance and birds darting about overhead.
Feeling energetic or just want to explore some more? Why not go on one of the many walks that start here? Whether you want to wander in the bush for an hour or half a day, there’s something for everyone. Take a short stroll along Illawarra lookout walking track for dramatic views or spend a few hours in the rich heathlands of Barren Grounds Nature Reserve on either Cooks Nose walking track or Griffiths walking track.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.