Illawarra lookout walking track
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
This short walk offers an easy way for all ages to experience the spectacular views, colourful wildflowers and amazing birdlife on a day trip to Barren Grounds Nature Reserve.
- Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
- 2km return
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 3
- Please note
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- There is no drinking water available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
Don’t have much time, but want to discover the wonders of this fragile environment? A walk to Illawarra lookout is a must, with spectacular views, colourful spring wildflowers and amazing birdlife.
Starting from Barren Grounds picnic area, this short trail moves along an undulating path through woodland and heath. Before you know it, you’ll arrive at Illawarra lookout, perched on the edge of the escarpment looking down across the hinterland, rolling green hills, and the stunning coastline.
Breathe in the fresh air, take in the spectacular views, then wander back to the picnic area for a relaxing lunch and a hot cuppa.
Along the way, you might spot an echidna waddling across the track, and you’re bound to see an abundance of birdlife. You'll be walking through the prime habitat of ground parrots and eastern bristlebirds, so keep an eye out for these threatened birds.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.