Illawarra lookout walking track
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
All the practical information you need to know about Illawarra lookout walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
30min - 1hr
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Illawarra lookout walking track is at the northern end of Barren Grounds Nature Reserve. To get there:
- Continue on the road from the reserve entrance for approximately 1km
- Illawarra lookout walking track starts from Barren Grounds picnic area at the end of the road
Parking is available at Barren Grounds picnic area
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve. Here are some of the highlights.
Enjoy spectacular views on a clear autumn day of the coastline and surrounds from Illawarra lookout.
Enjoy the colourful wildflower display in the reserve's upland heaths.
Escape the crowds on the coast for a peaceful picnic among nature.
Warm up with a brisk walk in the misty highlands and admire the flowering banksias.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
16°C and 5°C
8°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Maps and downloads
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.