Cooks Nose walking track
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve
Stroll through the park's rich heathlands on Cooks Nose walking track and you’ll be rewarded with striking scenic views from the escarpment overlooking Kangaroo Valley.
- 8km return
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min - 3hrs 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
The walking track out to Cooks Nose is well-marked and steep in places, but the views at the end are simply spectacular. The track wanders through open expanses of heathland, which burst with colour in spring when the wildflowers are out. The brightly coloured red and yellow Christmas bells are a special treat on this walk.
There are also plenty of birdwatching opportunities. You might see eagles riding the thermal air currents above Kangaroo Valley or a group of black cockatoos. But keep a special eye out for threatened heathland birds like the striated fieldwren, eastern bristlebird and ground parrot.
Relax for a while, take in the views looking out from the top of the escarpment, or head back to Barren Grounds picnic area or nearby Robertson for a warm lunch.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Fitzroy Falls Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4887 7270
- 1301 Nowra Road, Fitzroy Falls NSW 2577
- in Barren Grounds Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barren Grounds Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.