Grand Canyon track
Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
Set out from Grand Canyon carpark near Blackheath and be met with a series of waterfalls, creeks and spectacular views along the challenging Grand Canyon track in the Blue Mountains.
- 6.3km loop
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4hrs
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, compass, topographic map, gps
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the creek can flood after heavy rain.
- Download the free NSW National Parks app to use the park's maps and information without mobile reception.
Sandstone walls, ever-present waterfalls and abundant native plants line Grand Canyon track near Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. The historic loop track takes you into the heart of this World Heritage-listed landscape. It's an intimate, adventurous, and popular track which walkers have trodden since 1907.
Setting out from Grand Canyon carpark this well-shaded track meanders through luscious native vegetation of ferns and golden wattles and remains close to Greaves Creek. All of these things combine to make this a particularly good walk for the summer months.
Although there are loads of semi-ledges which make up this challenging walk, it is one of the rare locations where you don’t need specialist hiking or abseiling equipment to explore a canyon. Comfortable walking shoes are all you’ll need to get out there and explore. Still feeling energetic? Try the nearby Cliff Top walking track.
Along the way:
Head to Evans lookout if you're seeking an accessible spot with iconic Blue Mountains views, especially at at sunrise or sunset. It's also the starting point for several walks.
Grand Canyon is a short, technical canyon only suitable for fit and experienced canyoners. You’ll need to swim, scramble and do a 20m over-hanging abseil.
Download our app
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (117)
- 4WD touring (2)
- Aboriginal culture (4)
- Adventure sports (14)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (12)
- Cafes and kiosks (1)
- Cycling (8)
- Environmental appreciation/study (5)
- Historic heritage (10)
- Other experiences (8)
- Photography (3)
- Picnics and barbecues (11)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (3)
- Sightseeing (65)
- Swimming (2)
- Visitor centres (1)
- Walking (66)
- Waterfalls (37)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (7)