Grand Canyon track
Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
Setting out from Evans lookout near Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, be met with a series of waterfalls, creeks and spectacular views along the challenging Grand Canyon track.
- Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
- 6.3km loop
- Time suggested
- 3 - 4hrs
- Grade 3
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, compass, topographic map, gps
- Please note
- Check the weather before you set out as the creek can flood after heavy rain.
- Download the free NSW National Parks app to use the park's maps and information without mobile reception.
Arresting sandstone walls, ever-present waterfalls and abundant native plants line the awesome Grand Canyon track near Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. The historic loop track takes you into the heart of this World Heritage-listed landscape. It's an intimate and adventurous track which walkers have trodden since 1907.
Setting out from Evans lookout, the well-shaded track meanders through luscious native vegetation of ferns and golden wattles, and remains close to Greaves Creek, all of which combine to make this a particularly good walk for the summer months. Shorten the loop by leaving a second car at the Evans Lookout Road entrance or spend the day and stop for lunch at the nearby picnic area before returning to the lookout.
Although there are loads of semi-ledges which make up this challenging walk, you don’t need specialist hiking or abseiling equipment, so comfortable walking shoes are all you’ll need to get out there and explore. Still feeling energetic? Try the nearby Cliff Top walking track.
Take a virtual tour of Grand Canyon track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Tours and events at this location
Experience this magnificent rainforest environment in Blue Mountains National Park. Descend into a special slot canyon, past creeks and waterfalls, and learn about local wildlife along the way.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.