Geehi huts walking track
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Geehi huts walking track.
Grade 3Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
2 - 3hrs
Quality of markings
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
No experience required
Getting there and parking
Geehi huts walking track is in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- Take Alpine Way south for 36km
- Turn right at Geehi Flats campground and picnic area, just before the Swampy Plain River bridge crossing.
- From Snowy Region Visitor Centre, take Kosciuszko Road west for 3km
- Turn left onto Alpine Way and follow around 76km
- Cross the bridge over the Swamp Plain River and turn left at Geehi Flats campground and picnic area.
- Check weather and road conditions before setting out. After heavy rain Swampy Plains River crossing may be impassable.
- It's compulsory for all vehicles to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on Alpine Way.
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Geehi Flats campground and picnic area.
- Toilets, picnic tables and fire rings are available along this track at Geehi Flats campground and picnic area, Behrs Flat campground, and Old Geehi campground.
- Rubbish bins are not available, so please take your rubbish with you when leaving.
- Non-flush toilets
- Fire rings (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - hard
- 4WD vehicles can access the 3 historic hut areas at Geehi Flats campground, Behrs Flat, and Old Geehi campground. Wheechairs, prams, and visitors with limited mobility will need assistance on grassy, uneven ground in these areas.
- Geehi Flats campground is fully wheelchair-accessible and has wheelchair-accessible toilet facilities.
Hard access is via steps or a steep slope, or you'll have to move across a rough surface with obstacles such as potholes, tree roots, and rocks. Assistance will be necessary.
Camp fires and solid fuel burners
You’ll need to bring your own firewood. Campfires and solid fuel burners may be subject to temporary bans during summer fire season. Gas or fuel stoves are recommended.
You can fish in rivers and streams between the October and June long weekends. A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required to fish in all waters. Fishing in dams and lakes is permitted year-round, but some waterways may close temporarily or have restrictions. Refer to the NSW Recreational Freshwater Fishing Guide for information.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
If you're transiting through a national park or reserve on a public road, pets must remain within the vehicle.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass