Geehi huts walking track
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
Explore Geehi huts walking track by foot, bike, horse or 4WD. This short track, near Khancoban, boasts historic huts, river crossings and magnificent views of the Snowy Mountains in Kosciuszko National Park.
- Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
- 6km return
- Time suggested
- 2 - 3hrs
- Grade 3
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, raincoat, snacks, drinking water, sturdy shoes, clothes for all weather conditions, binoculars, bike repair kit
- Please note
- Be prepared for several river crossings. Don’t attempt to cross when river water is deep or fast flowing.
- Drivers please watch out for walkers, bikes and horses. Riders please give way to walkers.
- For a 10km loop bike or 4WD adventure, continue around 1.5km past Old Geehi Hut to the Geehi Walls trail junction. Turn right and follow to Alpine Way which will take you back to Geehi Flats campground.
- An optional detour between Keebles Hut and Old Geehi Hut will take you to Doctors Hut. Follow the sign on the south side of the river, and cross to the northern riverbank to reach the hut. It’s around 350m each way.
This easy walk, 4WD route, mountain bike or horse ride starts from Geehi Hut at Geehi Flats campground, just off Alpine Way. It’s the first of 3 historic huts you’ll visit, built from smooth, grey river stones as shelter or fishing retreats for graziers and prospectors.
From here, wade cross Swampy Plain River to join the unsealed 4WD trail on the other side. If you prefer to keep your feet dry, cross the bridge on Alpine Way to reach the trail on the southern riverbank. You’ll need to add an extra 2km.
Follow the trail downstream to picturesque Keebles Hut at Behrs Flat campground. Step inside the hut to connect with Snowy Mountains history. Outside, feast your eyes on majestic views of the rugged Western Fall, the steepest part of the Australian Alps. It’s especially stunning at sunset, and in winter when snow covers the Main Range.
The trail continues behind Keebles Hut and crosses the river again to reach Old Geehi campground, where you’ll find Old Geehi Hut. The crystal clear river is a great spot to cool off your feet on a hot day, or try trout fishing. Return the same way.
Why not camp at Geehi Flats, Behrs Flat or Old Geehi campground to make the most of this area’s many adventures.
Are you planning a bushwalk, going somewhere remote or where the weather is extreme? Stay safe by planning your trip for all conditions and telling someone about it.
Located between Khancoban and Thredbo, Geehi Flats campground and picnic area is a perfect base for hiking, mountain biking, fishing, and 4WD adventures in southern Kosciuszko National Park.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm.
- 02 6070 8400
- 02 6076 9382
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy a pass