Dead Horse Gap walking track
Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Dead Horse Gap walking track.
Grade 4Learn more about the grading system Features of this track
1hr 30min - 2hrs 30min
Quality of markings
Clearly sign posted
Quality of path
Formed track, some obstacles
Some bushwalking experience recommended
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Dead Horse Gap walking track is in the central/Thredbo section of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there from Jindabyne:
- Take Kosciuszko Road, which turns onto Alpine Way.
- Follow Alpine Way for 32km until you reach Thredbo Village
- After parking, proceed to the Crackenback chairlift, where the track begins.
Park entry points
- Cascade Trail carpark See on map
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Bus and car parking is available at Thredbo, including several designated disabled spots.
Maps and downloads
- You can cross-country ski or snowshoe this track in winter but there are no snow poles marking the route.
- Walking isn't recommended when this track is snowbound.
- Cycling, including fat bikes or snow bikes, is not permitted on this track.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass