Dawsons Spring nature trail
Mount Kaputar National Park
Dawsons Spring nature trail is an easy walk from Dawsons Spring campground in Mount Kaputar National Park, near Narrabri. Great for families, you'll enjoy seasonal waterfalls, wildflowers and wildlife spotting.
- Mount Kaputar National Park in Country NSW
- 1.4km loop
- Time suggested
- 30min - 1hr
- Grade 2
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water, clothes for all weather conditions
- Please note
- Weather can be unpredictable and extreme on the high Kaputar Plateau. Always check weather conditions before your journey, and never set out if bad weather is approaching.
- For a longer or more challenging walk, Dawsons Spring nature trail connects with Mount Kaputar summit walk and Bundabulla Circuit walking track.
This easy walking track starts and ends at Dawsons Spring campground and picnic area. A marked track and raised timber boardwalks loop through sub-alpine snow gum woodland and heath, over the headwaters of Horsearm Creek and a seasonal waterfall.
Signs along the way will help you spot the many plants and animals that call the alpine plateau home. Passionate birdwatchers can see some of the 185 bird species here, including peregrine falcons. Keep an eye out on rocks and trees for Mount Kaputar’s famous giant pink slug, which comes out after rain. In spring, there’s an abundance of wildflowers, including the nodding chocolate lily.
After your walk, enjoy a barbecue lunch back at the picnic area. If you’re camping or staying at Dawsons Spring cabins, why not try a torchlight walk along the nature trail? You might spot possums and greater gliders.
If you’re after a longer walk, the nature trail is easily combined with Mount Kaputar summit walk for a bird’s eye view of the dramatic mountain range. It’s especially beautiful at sunrise and sunset. In winter there may even be a dusting of snow at this high altitude. You can also connect with Bundabulla Circuit walking track for more of a challenge.
Google Street View Trekker
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Dawsons Spring campground
Dawsons Spring campground is a fully equipped accommodation area with a variety of barbecue options and several good walking tracks, including one to the summit lookout.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (29)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (3)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (4)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (20)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (16)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (6)