Mount Kaputar summit walk
Mount Kaputar National Park
Walk to the summit of Mount Kaputar at sunrise or sunset, for stunning 360° views of the dramatic cliff and rock formations from the lookout.
- Mount Kaputar National Park
- 2km return
- Time suggested
- 45min - 1hr 15min
- Grade 3
- Please note
- The walk starts near Dawsons Spring picnic area – a good place for a picnic or barbecue if you have time.
- It’s a good idea to put sunscreen on before you set out and remember to take a hat and plenty of drinking water.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch.
The Mount Kaputar Summit walk winds its way up through towering eucalypts to emerge at a lookout with stunning 360° views of the dramatic mountain range. Starting from Dawsons Spring picnic area and following Dawsons Spring Nature trail, the walk to the summit will have your heart racing, but the spectacular view is well worth the journey.
Millions of years in the making, it’s definitely worth packing your camera to capture the beauty of the park from a bird’s eye view. To make the trip extra special, combine the walk with a stay at Dawsons Spring cabins and walk up before sunrise or sunset and watch the colours flood across the landscape. For an easier journey try driving to the summit and walking back down.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.