Caleys lookout track
Bents Basin State Conservation Area
Caleys lookout track is a short and steep walk through bushland of Bents Basin State Conservation Area near Penrith. Take your lunch – it’s a great spot for a picnic.
- Bents Basin State Conservation Area
- 1.2km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Grade 4
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen, sturdy shoes
- Please note
- Remember to wear suitable walking shoes, as this track is quite steep
- Please note that park gates lock automatically after hours
Take in delightful views on the Caleys lookout track in Bents Basin State Conservation Area, not far from Penrith. Named after English explorer and botanist, George Caley, the lookout track follows a shady path from the Bents Basin Road picnic area up into the forested escarpment. Children might find it a bit steep, although you’re assisted by stone, wooden and metal steps along the way.
At the end of the walk is Caleys lookout located in the neighbouring Gulguer Nature Reserve. There are picnic tables at the fenced lookout, so you can bring along a picnic lunch to tuck into while you enjoy expansive views over the tall eucalypts above Bents Basin.
You can also look across to Bents Basin campground, taking in the vista of pretty patchwork farmland and rugged bushland of western Sydney. There are picnic tables at the lookout, so you can bring along a picnic lunch to tuck into while you’re admiring the view.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Scheyville office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4572 3100
- 71 Memorial Drive, Scheyville 2756
- in Bents Basin State Conservation Area in the Sydney and surrounds region
Bents Basin State Conservation Area opens at 8am and closes at 5pm (8pm during daylight savings). The park may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park has pay and display machines that accept both coin and card.Buy annual pass