Bald Rock National Park
The Border walk takes you from the Bald Rock picnic area to the NSW/Queensland border. Heading north, you’ll be rewarded with views from the lookout over Bald Rock.
- Bald Rock National Park
- 13km loop
- Time suggested
- 5 - 6hrs
- Grade 3
- Trip Intention Form
It's a good idea to let someone know where you're going. Fill in a trip intention form to send important details about your trip to your emergency contact.
- Personal Locator Beacon
Hire a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) for free at the Tenterfield office.
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to birdwatch
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, please ensure you are well prepared for your visit.
- There is limited reception in this park
Beginning at the northern end of the Bald Rock picnic area, Border walk passes through creeks and swamp, rising above attractive woodlands.
When you reach the northern extent of the walk, take time to rest at the viewing site that offers a fine profile of Bald Rock.
If you walk quietly at dawn or dusk you may see grey kangaroos, red-necked wallabies and swamp wallabies. If you're in the campground at night, and with a good torch, you might also see possums and gliders. In spring, boronia, banksia, grevillea and a profusion of other wildflowers brighten the woodlands of this granite country. The best time of year to visit would have to be late July, with golden wattle trees blooming.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Tenterfield office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6736 4298
- 10 Miles Street, Tenterfield NSW 2372
- in Bald Rock National Park in the Country NSW region
Bald Rock National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$8 per vehicle per day. The park uses a self-registration fee collection system. Please bring the correct change.Buy annual pass