Biruu gaba lookout walking track
Deriah Aboriginal Area
Ideal for birdwatching, Biruu gaba lookout walking track, in Deriah Aboriginal Area, offers spectacular scenic views to Mount Kaputar National Park and Nandewar Ranges.
- Deriah Aboriginal Area
- 0.7km return
- Time suggested
- 15 - 30min
- Grade 3
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching.
For some of the most superb scenic views across Nandewar Ranges and nearby Mount Kaputar National Park, head to Biruu gaba lookout walking track. Located in Deriah Aboriginal Area, near Narrabri, this short yet steep track can be tackled by all ages and is extremely popular with birdwatching enthusiasts.
Following the clearly signposted track through open woodlands of cypress pine, you might see a flash of vibrant colour as the turquoise parrot flies past or perhaps spot a brush turkey darting through the trees. At the lookout, take in the magnificent views and see if you can identify the distinctive peaks of Nandewar Ranges.
Ideal for school groups, discover traditional uses for plants found in the area via the informative signage. Round off your day with lunch at Wagun picnic area, featuring Culture Sculpture walk.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Deriah Aboriginal Area in the Country NSW region
Deriah Aboriginal Area is always open but may have to close at times due to severe weather or extreme fire danger.