Wirrila picnic area
Deriah Aboriginal Area
A highlight of Deriah Aboriginal Area, near Narrabri, is wheelchair-accessible Wirrila picnic area. Ideal for families, the kids will love Culture Sculpture walk.
- Picnic areas
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Nestled on the slopes of Nandewar Ranges, Wirrila picnic area offers a tranquil bush setting for a family get-together in Deriah Aboriginal Area, near Mount Kaputar National Park and Narrabri. Enjoy a barbecue lunch while learning about the unique culture of the local Gamilaraay People, in this peaceful picnic area.
After lunch, enjoy a short walk around Culture Sculpture loop walk, where you’ll see several sculptures of animals that feature in traditional stories and represent totems for the Gamilaraay People. The kids will love to discover ‘How the goanna got its stripes’ and ‘Why the brush turkey lays its eggs in the ground’.
Soak up the tranquil views across the cypress ironbark forest and if you’re into birdwatching, keep an eye out for the diamond firetail, speckled warbler and the brown treecreeper. If you’re keen to explore further, don’t miss the spectacular views from Biruu gaba lookout walking track.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Deriah Aboriginal Area in the Country NSW region
Deriah Aboriginal Area is always open but may have to close at times due to severe weather or extreme fire danger.