Upper Bullawa Creek picnic area
Mount Kaputar National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Upper Bullawa Creek picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Upper Bullawa Creek picnic area is in the Upper Bullawa Creek precinct of Mount Kaputar National Park. To get there:
- From Narrabri take Old Gunnedah Road south
- After about 2.5km turn left onto Kaputar Road
- Follow Kaputar Road for 26km to Mount Kaputar National Park entrance
- Turn left at Upper Bullawa Creek Road. Follow the road into the park.
- The picnic area is signposted off to the right. The picnic area is a series of clearings, with tables and fireplaces, spaced along the creek.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Upper Bullawa Creek can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- Dry weather only
Parking is available at Upper Bullawa Creek.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Mount Kaputar National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the park, with ideal temperatures for bush walking, cycling and camping.
A beautiful time of year to enjoy the abundant wildflowers and birds.
Escape the heat of the plains by heading up into the park.
Experience the mist surrounding the high plateau area and enjoy the beauty of the occasional blanketing of snow. Be prepared for the temperatures about 10°C cooler than in the nearby town of Narrabri.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
21°C and 35°C
7°C and 18°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Firewood is not supplied and may not be collected from the park.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.