Saltwater picnic area
Saltwater National Park
All the practical information you need to know about the Saltwater picnic area.
Getting there and parking
Saltwater picnic area is in Saltwater National Park. To get there:
- Take Old Bar Road from Taree/Pacific Highway
- Drive 10km east and turn right onto Saltwater Road
- Follow Saltwater Road past the village of Wallabi Point
- Saltwater picnic area is at the end of Saltwater Road
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Saltwater picnic area.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Saltwater National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Take walks around the headland and through to adjoining Khappinghat Nature Reserve.
Enjoy whale watching from the viewing platform at Saltwater Point from August through November.
Swim, surf and sunbathe on the beaches, canoe and kayak in the creek, or enjoy a picnic on the grass under the shady rainforest trees.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17°C and 29°C
8°C and 21°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- Flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
This area is fully wheelchair-accessible.
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430