Double Wharf picnic area
Karuah National Park
Take a day trip from Newcastle and spend the day picnicking, bushwalking, fishing, paddling and boating on the river at Double Wharf picnic area in Karuah National Park.
- Picnic areas
- Karuah National Park in North Coast
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
There is limited mobile reception in this park.
If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle for the day, you couldn’t find a more peaceful picnic spot than Double Wharf picnic area. On the banks of Karuah River, it’s a picturesque spot to just sit back and relax – yet there’s also plenty to see and do.
With easy access to the river, it’s a great place to launch your kayak or canoe and head off paddling up the river. The mangroves areas along Deep Creek, Limeburners Creek and Karuah River make this area an important fish habitat and a popular fishing destination, so don’t forget your fishing tackle.
Keen birdwatchers will find plenty to feast their eyes on with the abundance of birdlife in the area. Watch the magnificent yellow-tailed black cockatoos going about their early morning feeding routines in the casuarinas along the river’s edge, or go for a short bushwalk and see if you can see one of the local koalas in the eucalypts.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Nelson Bay office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 4984 8200
- Level 1, 12B Teramby Road, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
- in Karuah National Park in the North Coast region
Karuah National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Things to do (36)
- 4WD touring (3)
- Aboriginal culture (3)
- Adventure sports (3)
- Beach (7)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (17)
- Canoeing/paddling (6)
- Cultural heritage (1)
- Cycling (2)
- Fishing (6)
- Historic heritage (8)
- Horse riding (1)
- Photography (1)
- Picnics and barbecues (7)
- Sailing, boating and cruises (1)
- Sightseeing (9)
- Snorkelling and scuba (1)
- Surfing (4)
- Swimming (7)
- Walking (9)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (1)