West Head lookout
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
Enjoy incredible views from West Head lookout, regarded as one of Sydney's best in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. Photograph Pittwater and Barrenjoey Head, or take a short walk from here.
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Please note
- If driving, please remember to leave before 6pm as the gates to West Head are closed between 6pm – 6am.
- During during daylight savings months the gates are closed between 8.30pm – 6am.
Prepare to be impressed – the views from West Head lookout are some of Sydney’s best. On your visit, you’ll be greeted with a real visual feast. From West Head lookout, you can see Broken Bay on your left, Pittwater on your right and Barrenjoey Headland and Lighthouse in front.
You can also enjoy amazing vistas across the Hawkesbury River to Lion Island Nature Reserve and the beaches of the Central Coast, including Patonga and Umina Beach.
The lookout itself is a large sandstone viewing area with a number of informative interpretive signs. Rest on one of the benches and absorb the sounds of the birds and waves below before heading to nearby Resolute picnic area for lunch or taking a walk on Aboriginal Heritage walk.
If you want to learn more, see this documentary on the history of West Head fortresses, or Jack 'Bluey' Mercer recall his time there during the fort constructions in 1942.
Take a virtual tour of West Head lookout captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Forestville Office
- Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm.
- 02 9451 3479
- 82 Ferguson Street, Forestville NSW 2087
- in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park is open sunrise to sunset but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
- The entrance to Bobbin Head and Appletree Bay is closed from 8pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 5.30pm to 6am the rest of the year.
- Gates to West Head are closed from 8.30pm to 6am during daylight savings periods, and from 6pm to 6am the rest of the year.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass