Scammells Ridge lookout
Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Scammells Ridge lookout.
Getting there and parking
Scammells Ridge lookout is in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- From Khancoban, turn left onto Alpine Way and travel 20km south until you get to a turn-off sign-posted 'Scammells Ridge lookout'.
- From Jindabyne, travel west along Kosciuszko Road for 3km and turn left onto Alpine Way.
- Continue along Alpine Way for 90km, and turn left at the turn-off signposted 'Scammells Ridge lookout'.
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
There's a bitumen carpark at the lookout. It doesn't have marked spaces.
The lookout can be a busy place on the weekend so parking might be limited.
There's a toilet block at one end of the carpark. You can reach it directly from the carpark or along the paved path at the lookout.
- Non-flush toilets
There's a picnic table at the lookout. You'll need to cross over grass and hard-packed ground to reach it.
Scammells Ridge lookout is flat and step-free. From the carpark, there's a paved pathway that leads to a large, wide paved area before you reach the metal grille lookout platform. There are handrails all around the lookout platform.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
Scammells Ridge lookout is flat and step-free, with a paved pathway that leads to a wide paved area before reaching the metal grille lookout platform.
- There's an easily-accessible information sign along the path before you reach the lookout.
- There are handrails around the lookout platform.
The lookout has a non-flush toilet that you can reach along a paved path, but it's not accessible or ambulant. People with reduced mobility may require assistance.
There's a bitumen carpark at the lookout, but it doesn't have any designated accessible parking spaces.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- Winter (June to September): Open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm on weekends. Rest of year: Open 9am to 4pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6070 8400
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Single and Multi-Day passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines, or via the Park'nPay app.Buy annual pass