Khancoban area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Scammells lookout.
Getting there and parking
Scammells lookout is in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
- From Khancoban, turn left onto Alpine Way and travel 20km south until you get to a turn-off sign-posted 'Scammells lookout'.
- From Jindabyne, travel west along Kosciuszko Road for 3km and turn left onto Alpine Way.
- Continue along Alpine Way for 90km, and turn left at the turn-off signposted 'Scammells lookout'.
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
- Sealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
Parking is available at Scammels lookout, but it can be a busy place on the weekend, so parking might be limited.
- Non-flush toilets
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
- This area is fully wheelchair-accessible
- Khancoban Visitor Centre
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm. Closed 12.30pm to 1pm.
- 02 6070 8400
- 02 6076 9382
- 2 Scammel Street, Khancoban NSW 2642
- in the Khancoban area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Khancoban area is open all year, but access along the Khancoban to Cabramurra Road is closed in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Entry passes available from Khancoban Visitor Centre's 24-hour vending machines.Buy annual pass