Coorabakh National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Newbys lookout.
Getting there and parking
Newbys lookout is in the southern precinct of Coorabakh National Park. To get there:
- From Coopernook and Moorland, take Forest Drive Road north.
- Travel through Coopernook State Forest and follow signs to Coorabakh National Park
- Turn left at Newbys Creek Road, and follow signs to Newbys lookout.
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Newbys lookout can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles (no long vehicle access)
- 4WD required in wet weather
There are 2 small gravel carparks at the lookout.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Coorabakh National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Several endangered plants flower in the park, creating beautiful displays of wildflowers near lookouts and along roadsides.
A perfect escape from the summer heat can be found in the subtropical rainforest around Starrs Creek, with its elevated boardwalk, and along the slightly more adventurous path to the cave at Newbys Creek.
Low rainfall and reasonable temperatures make winter a great time to take advantage of the several stunning lookouts around the park.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
17.2°C and 28.6°C
6.5°C and 12.8°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
Drinking water is limited or not available in this area, so it’s a good idea to bring your own.
There's an accessible picnic table next to the information shelter at the base of the ramp to the lookout.
There's also a picnic table on a platform just before you reach the lookout. You can get to the picnic table via a short ramp.
There's step-free access from the carpark to the lookout via a wood boardwalk ramp. The ramp has handrails and a maximum gradient of 1:14.
There's also step-free access from the carpark to the information shelter near the lookout.
- Step-free outdoor pathways
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - easy
- The lookout and surrounding area is step-free and mostly flat.
- There's a wood boardwalk ramp from the small gravel carpark to the lookout.
- There are 2 accessible picnic tables at the lookout that also serve as resting points. One picnic table is at the base of the lookout, next to the information shelter. The other is set on a platform near the lookout. You can reach this picnic table via a short ramp.
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430