Coorabakh National Park
Newbys lookout, on the edge of the Landsdowne escarpment, offers scenic views over Manning Valley as well as opportunities for birdwatching and picnicking.
- Coorabakh National Park
- Opening times
Newbys lookout is always open but may have to close at times due to flood events, poor weather or fire danger.
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
One of several great lookouts in Coorabakh National Park, Newbys lookout is perched on the edge of the sandstone Landsdowne escarpment, with stellar views over the flat expanse of Manning Valley. A wooden ramp leads up to the lookout, making it accessible to everyone.
In the distance are blue hills and scattered settlements; closer at hand are beautiful forests of blackbutt eucalyptus trees, forming a dense canopy teeming with birdlife. Indeed, birdwatching is superb here: at Flat Rock lookout, wedge-tailed eagles and peregrine falcons nest nearby, often coasting on the wind currents above the viewing area.
Also, like the other lookouts around Coorabakh, there are a number of tables available, offering a great picnicking opportunity before heading to the park’s other attractions and vantage points over the surrounding landscape. Alternatively, try Starrs Creek picnic area set beneath the lush rainforest.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Taree office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6552 4097
- 78 Hargreaves Drive, Taree NSW 2430
- in Coorabakh National Park in the North Coast region
Coorabakh National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.