Mount Kaputar Summit lookout
Mount Kaputar National Park
Offering an overview of the surrounding region with unimpeded 360-degree views, Mount Kaputar Summit lookout is an easily-accessible stop with picnic tables.
- Mount Kaputar National Park
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you're well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching
It was once popular to claim that you could see 10 per cent of NSW from Mount Kaputar Summit lookout. Whatever the actual percentage, the 360-degree scenic view is spectacular, with the ever-changing colours of the landscape through the seasons.
From the lookout, gaze north across Grattai Wilderness and Moree; look east and you’ll see the impressive Liverpool Ranges and Boomi Creek; and westward there’s Ningadhun and the seemingly endless plains. Don’t forget to look up either, as more than 185 bird species live in the park, so bring your binoculars for a spot of birdwatching.
Access to the lookout is via a wooden staircase, with a steep but short ascent. A picnic table near the carpark also makes this an ideal spot for a leisurely lunch. If you’re after a hike, follow Mount Kaputar summit walk back towards Dawsons Creek.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.