Figure Eight Pools
Royal National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Figure Eight Pools.
Getting there and parking
Figure Eight Pools is located south of Burning Palms Beach in Royal National Park.
If you plan to visit between 1 August - 1 December 2020 you'll need to plan your walk carefully because of track closures.
- If you plan to visit on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, start the walk at Garawarra Farm carpark, off Garie Road.
- If you plan to visit between Monday and Thursday, start the walk at Garie Beach carpark.
Check this page for instructions on how to walk there from each starting point.
There’s no road access to Figure 8 Pools. You can drive as far as Garawarra Farm carpark, or Garie beach,
- Mixture of sealed and unsealed roads
- 2WD vehicles
- All weather
From 1 August to 1 December 2020:
- Parking is available at Garawarra Farm carpark on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Parking is available at Garie Beach carpark between Monday to Thursday.
By public transport
Figure Eight Pools is a very long way to walk from any railway stations.
It's a 6km walk (one-way) from Otford train station to Garawarra Farm carpark, which takes about 2 hours. From Garawarra Farm carpark it's still another 3km to walk down to Figure Eight Pools.
Figure Eight Pools is in an isolated location. There are no toilet facilities, rubbish bins or drinking water available at Figure Eight Pools, Garawarra Farm or along the access tracks to the rockpools. It’s a good idea to use toilet facilities before you leave and bring enough food and water for the trip.
Maps and downloads
A current NSW recreational fishing licence is required when fishing in all waters.
Flying recreational drones is not permitted because this park is located within 5.5km of an airfield or helicopter landing site. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) states that drones should not be flown within 30m of vehicles, boats, buildings or people, or within 5.5km of an airfield. Drones can also impact on public enjoyment and privacy, interfere with park operations, and may pose a threat to wildlife in some areas.
Please contact the park office for consent if you wish to fly a drone for commercial filming or photography purposes. For more information, see the Drones in Parks policy.
NSW national parks are no smoking areas.
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Royal National Park, NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Seasonal ticket booths at Wattamolla and Garie Beach - cash and credit card facilities available. Please bring correct change. There's also coin and card operated pay and display machines to buy day passes.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass