Cunnawarra National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Beech lookout.
Getting there and parking
Beech lookout is in Cunnawarra National Park. To get there:
- Travel west along Waterfall Way towards Ebor/Armidale
- Turn left to follow Waterfall Way towards Ebor/Armidale
- Continue to Ebor
- Travel west along Waterfall Way towards Armidale
- Turn left to stay on Waterfall Way towards Armidale
- After about 7.6km, turn left onto Point Lookout Road.
- Continue onto Styx Forest Way
- Travel east along Waterfall Way for approximately 65km
- Turn right onto Armidale Kempsey Road just past Wollomombi
- After about 20km turn left onto Styx Forest Way
Check the weather before you set out as the road to Beech lookout can become boggy when it rains.
- Unsealed roads
- All roads require 4WD vehicle
- 4WD required in wet weather
Parking is available at Beech lookout.
Best times to visit
There are lots of great things waiting for you in Cunnawarra National Park. Here are some of the highlights.
Enjoy the many splendours of the park from the comfort and warmth of your 4WD along Styx Forest Way. Don't miss the easily accessible scenic detour off Waterfall Way.
Head to Beech lookout on Styx Forest Way to gaze out over ancient Antarctic beech rainforest, including some of the tallest trees in NSW.
Go birdwatching in the park, keeping your eyes out for threatened species such as powerful owls, rufous scrub-birds and glossy black cockatoos.
Weather, temperature and rainfall
13°C and 24°C
1°C and 13°C
The area’s highest recorded rainfall in one day
- You'll need to bring your own drinking and cooking water
- You’re encouraged to bring gas or fuel stoves, especially in summer during the fire season.
- Wood barbecues (bring your own firewood)
Maps and downloads
Disability access level - medium
- Assistance may be required to access this area
- Dorrigo Rainforest Centre
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6657 5913
- 142 Dome Road Dorrigo Mountain NSW 2453