Montague Island Lighthouse
Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve
Montague Island Lighthouse on Barunguba Montague Island is the perfect place to get in touch with history while seeing dramatic views, amazing birds and marine wildlife.
- Historic buildings/places
Guided tour fees apply
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- A minimum age of 5 years applies for all visitors to Barunguba Montague Island
- Tours may be subject to late cancellation in the event of unfavourable weather and sea conditions
- You can choose a longer morning tour (2.5hrs on the island) or a shorter afternoon tour (1hr on the island).
- The island can be windy. A windproof jacket is a good idea at all times.
Let your inner history buff loose and explore Montague Island Lighthouse. The lighthouse, built way back in 1881, is impossible to miss – it’s an impressive granite structure that will have you reaching for your camera. Climb the winding staircase to the top – it’s a great vantage point for whale watching and the amazing 360 degree views will take your breath away.
Retaining most of its original form and features, little has changed from the time the lighthouse was constructed to what you will see today. Designed in 1873 and completed almost a decade later, it’s a testament to Victorian design and innovation. Taking a guided tour is a great way to learn more about the unique heritage of the lighthouse and surrounding wildlife.
Stay overnight at either Montague Island Head Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage or Montague Island Assistant Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage. In the morning light explore the island along the Barunguba Montague Island walking track.
Take a virtual tour of Montague Island lighthouse captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narooma office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Office open by appointment only. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4476 0800
- 10 Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2546
- Narooma, NSW, 2546
- in Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Please note: A minimum age of 5 years applies for all visitors. Barunguba Montague Island is only accessible via one of NSW National Parks and Wildlife contracted commercial vessel tour operators. Go to www.eurobodalla.com.au for details.