Montague Island Lighthouse
Montague Island Nature Reserve
Montague Island Lighthouse is the perfect place to get in touch with history while seeing dramatic views, amazing birds and marine wildlife.
- Historic buildings/places
- Montague Island Nature Reserve
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- Bookings can be made at Narooma Visitor Centre via 1800 240 003
- Tours may be subject to late cancellation in the event of unfavourable weather and sea conditions
- You can choose a longer morning tour (2.5hrs on the island) or a shorter afternoon tour (1hr on the island)
- The island can be windy. A windproof jacket is a good idea at all times.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird, whale or dolphin watch
Let your inner history buff loose and explore Montague Island Lighthouse. The lighthouse, built way back in 1881, is impossible to miss – it’s an impressive granite structure that will have you reaching for your camera. Climb the winding staircase to the top – it’s a great vantage point for whale watching and the amazing 360 degree views will take your breath away.
Retaining most of its original form and features, little has changed from the time the lighthouse was constructed to what you will see today. Designed in 1873 and completed almost a decade later, it’s a testament to Victorian design and innovation. Taking a guided tour is a great way to learn more about the unique heritage of the lighthouse and surrounding wildlife.
Stay overnight at either Montague Island Head Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage or Montague Island Assistant Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage. In the morning light explore the island along the Montague Island walking track.
Take a virtual tour of Montague Island lighthouse captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Saving our Species is an innovative conservation program in NSW. This program aims to secure as many threatened species that can be secured in the wild as possible, for the next 100 years.
- in Montague Island Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Montague Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Please note that Montague Island is only accessible via one of NSW National Parks & Wildlife contracted commercial vessel tour operators (go to www.eurobodalla.com.au for details).
- Narooma office
02 4476 0800
Contact hours: Monday to Friday, 10am to 2pm. Closed public holidays.
- 9 Burrawang Street, Cnr Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2456
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Narooma office