Barunguba Montague Island walking track
Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve
This 1.5 km coastal walk around Barunguba Montague Island is short but challenging. It takes you past the historic lighthouse and precious penguin breeding boxes.
- 1.5km loop
- Time suggested
- 2hrs 30min
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- A minimum age of 5 years applies for all visitors to Barunguba Montague Island.
- You can choose a longer morning tour (2.5hrs on the island) or a shorter afternoon tour (1.5hrs on the island).
- During September to February we also have our 1.5 hour evening penguin viewing tour.
- You'll need to walk up a gradual but steep pathway to the lighthouse at the highest point on the island. You can tour through the lighthouse, but this isn't guaranteed and depends on weather conditions and group size.
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird, whale or dolphin watch.
- The island can be windy. A windproof jacket is a good idea at all times.
- Tours may be subject to late cancellation in the event of unfavourable weather and sea conditions.
See the splendours of Barunguba Montague Island with one of our knowledgeable guides on guided tour of this outstanding nature reserve. The effort of climbing the steep, paved track will be well worth it, as the walk reveals the lighthouse against a dramatic island backdrop.
Once you’ve captured the perfect Montague Island Lighthouse photo, it will be time to soak in the 360 degree views. Ascending the circular lighthouse stairs will give you an insight into the daily life of a lighthouse keeper from times gone by. Reaching the top, you’ll be duly rewarded with an incredible panoramic vista taking in the east coast of Australia.
The walk leads you past penguin breeding boxes where you’ll learn how conservation and revegetation programs on Barunguba Montague Island help protect these unique animals. And if that’s not enough, seals, whales, dolphins and migratory seabirds are all regular visitors.
Take a virtual tour on Barunguba Montague Island walking track captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Montague Island Lighthouse on Barunguba Montague Island is the perfect place to get in touch with history while seeing dramatic views, amazing birds and marine wildlife.
Enjoy a weekend getaway in the historic Montague Island Assistant Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage and experience a unique adventure on Barunguba Montague Island.
Enjoy a weekend getaway in the historic Montague Island Head Lighthouse Keeper’s Cottage and experience a unique adventure on Barunguba Montague Island.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
Australia is home to more than 500,000 animal and plant species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. Saving our Species is a statewide conservation program that addresses the growing number of Australian animals and Australian native plants facing extinction.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Narooma office
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm. Office open by appointment only. Closed public holidays.
- 02 4476 0800
- 10 Graham Street, Narooma NSW 2546
- Narooma, NSW, 2546
- in Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve in the South Coast region
Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Please note: A minimum age of 5 years applies for all visitors. Barunguba Montague Island is only accessible via one of NSW National Parks and Wildlife contracted commercial vessel tour operators. Go to www.eurobodalla.com.au for details.