Winangabaa – Information Bay
Deriah Aboriginal Area
Ideal for school and educational groups, wheelchair-accessible Winangabaa (win-ung-ar-bar) – Information Bay, near Narrabri, offers insight into local Gamilaraay culture and history.
- Education centres
- Deriah Aboriginal Area in Country NSW
- What to
- Sunscreen, hat, drinking water
- Please note
- There is limited/no mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Winangabaa – Information Bay is a great introduction to the unique Deriah Aboriginal Area, near Narrabri in north-west NSW. It highlights the natural, cultural and historic heritage of this fascinating region and its importance to the Gamilaraay People. With wheelchair access and seating, it’s ideally-suited for school groups, school excursions and cultural activities for all ages.
With a series of interpretive signs offering a cultural and historic overview, learn the traditional uses of local native plants as well as local language. Or just sit back and listen to the wind blowing through the ancient dry rainforest as it has for eons. Adapting to the arid climate, this unique rainforest once covered vast tracts of Australia when the megafauna roamed the landscape.
Round off your visit with a drive to Biruu gaba lookout walking track for superb mountain scenery and enjoy a barbecue picnic lunch at Wagun picnic area.
Subscribe to Naturescapes
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Deriah Aboriginal Area in the Country NSW region
Deriah Aboriginal Area is always open but may have to close at times due to severe weather or extreme fire danger.
Things to do (35)
- 4WD touring (1)
- Aboriginal culture (4)
- Birdwatching and wildlife encounters (7)
- Cycling (3)
- Educational activities (1)
- Geotourism (1)
- Historic heritage (2)
- Picnics and barbecues (6)
- Road trips and car/bus tours (2)
- Sightseeing (24)
- Swimming (1)
- Walking (19)
- Waterfalls (2)
- Wildflowers (seasonal) (6)