Shannon Creek forest drive
Nymboi-Binderay National Park
The views are fantastic along this 70km scenic drive. Stop for a swim, picnic or camp overnight at one of the remote, picturesque spots provided by the river.
- Nymboi-Binderay National Park
- 70km one-way
- Time suggested
- Opening times
Chaelundi National Park is always open, except if the park is closed due to fire danger.
- Please note
- There is limited mobile phone reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to bird watch
Shannon Creek forest drive is a fantastic opportunity to explore some of the rugged scenery in a remote forested area west of Nymboida. The 70km stretch heads through the eastern section of Chaelundi National Park. Be sure to bring binoculars – you’ll spot kangaroos, wallabies and the odd shy koala if you’re lucky.
The road winds around forested hills with spotted gum, ironbark and an understorey of rainforest in patches, lending rich colours to the protected gullies. There are also steep valleys and rocky outcrops - perfect for a self-reliant expedition by 4WD.
A small picnic area on Shannon Creek Road provides a great base for recreation opportunities.
There’s plenty of space for bush camping and picnicking, walking and bike trails, fishing, photography and opportunities to appreciate nature. Picnic and camping areas are also offered in nearby Guy Fawkes River National Park.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- 02 9585 6831
- Grafton office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6641 1500
- Level 4, 49 Victoria Street, Grafton NSW 2460
- in Nymboi-Binderay National Park in the North Coast region
Nymboi-Binderay National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.