Kaputar scenic drive
Mount Kaputar National Park
Kaputar scenic drive is a 20km driving route through dramatic landscapes, with access to lookouts, picnic spots and walking tracks.
- Mount Kaputar National Park
- 20km one-way
- Time suggested
- What to
- Hat, sunscreen, drinking water
- Please note
- The weather in this area can be extreme and unpredictable, so please ensure you’re well-prepared for your visit.
- There is limited mobile reception in this park
- Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go bird watching
Spectacular Nandewar volcanoes have left behind a landscape of dramatic shapes and atmospheric hideaways, tucked throughout Mount Kaputar National Park for the curious traveller.
A great way to take in all the area has to offer is by hitting the road and driving along Kaputar scenic drive, which ascends about 1,100m in altitude as it snakes up the mountainside. The beautiful plant life changes as you climb, with wildflowers like golden wattle in September and white tea tree in the warmer months. The drive finishes at the summit of Mount Kaputar – be sure to bring your binoculars if you want to enjoy a spot of birdwatching while you’re there or simply take in the wonderful views from above.
One of the best things about this driving route is it can reach the quieter corners of the park, like stunning Doug Sky lookout, or Bark Hut, which is a perfect place to picnic. You can find barbecues at Dawsons Spring and plenty of walking tracks along the way, meaning it’s easy to step out and stretch your legs to break up the drive and make a day of it.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
- Narrabri office
- Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- 02 6792 7300
- Level 1, 100 Maitland Street, Narrabri NSW 2390. Accessible via Dewhurst Street.
- in Mount Kaputar National Park in the Country NSW region
Mount Kaputar National Park is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.