Pilot Wilderness mountain bike ride (Alpine Way to Barry Way)
Lower Snowy River area in Kosciuszko National Park
All the practical information you need to know about Pilot Wilderness mountain bike ride (Alpine Way to Barry Way).
Getting there and parking
Get driving directions
Pilot Wilderness mountain bike ride is in the southern precinct of Kosciuszko National Park. To get there:
From Snowy Region Visitor Centre:
- Drive 3km along Kosciuszko Road towards Perisher, then turn left at Alpine Way. The trackhead is 36.5km along Alpine Way, 5.5km past the Thredbo Village turn-off.
Park entry points
- Cascade Trail carpark See on map
All 2WD vehicles need to carry snow chains in winter, between June and October long weekends, on:
- Kosciuszko Road (to Perisher)
- Guthega Road
- Alpine Way between Thredbo and Tom Groggin
Snow chains are recommended for all vehicles driving in the park, including 4WD and AWD, in the event of extreme weather. Read our snow driving in Kosciuszko tips.
Parking is available nearby to the attraction at the Cascade trailhead on Alpine Way – please note that park use fees apply. Most people arrange a car shuttle or pick up from Pinch River campground on Barry Way, 60km from Jindabyne on a dirt road.
Maps and downloads
- Fat bikes, or snow bikes, are permitted year-round on Pilot Wilderness mountain bike ride.
- Walking is not recommended in winter as this trail can become snowbound.
- You can cross-country ski or snowshoe this trail in winter.
- Cycling is permitted in the Pilot Wilderness Area only on Cascade trail, Ingeegoodbee trail, and Nine Mile trail.
Flying a drone for recreational purposes is prohibited in this area. Drones may affect public enjoyment, safety and privacy, interfere with park operations, or pose a threat to wildlife. See the Drones in Parks policy.
This area may be a declared Drone Exclusion Zone, or may be subject to Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) rules for flying near airports, aerodromes and helicopter landing sites. See CASA's Drone Flyer Rules.
Commercial filming and photography
NSW national parks are no smoking areas. The alpine resorts of Thredbo, Perisher, Charlotte Pass, Selwyn, Ski Rider and Kosciuszko Tourist Park are exempt, though some commercial and outdoor places within these resorts may have no smoking areas.
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Lower Snowy River area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
The Lower Snowy River area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues.
No park entry fees apply in the Lower Snowy River area. See vehicle entry fees for other areas in Kosciuszko National Park.Buy annual pass