Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park
Muzzlewood track is a summer mountain bike trail between Thredbo Diggings campground and Bullocks Flat, in Kosciuszko National Park. It’s popular with experienced riders, and is easily combined with Thredbo Valley track.
- Thredbo-Perisher area in Kosciuszko National Park in Snowy Mountains
- No wheelchair access
- 2.9km one-way
- Time suggested
- 15 - 45min
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- Opening times
- Open for cycling in summer when the track is dry.
- Closed to all bikes in winter, May to November. Some sections may open for periods if conditions allow.
- Tracks may close due to poor weather or track conditions.
- What to
- Bike repair kit, hat, sunscreen, drinking water, first aid kit
- Please note
- If you’re riding a bike, please give way to walkers on the track.
- Muzzlewood track may close to the public during major events on several weekends in February. Check track closure alerts before you arrive.
- Remember to clean your bike and footwear before and after using the tracks, to help prevent the spread of weeds and pathogens.
- The track can be busy during school holidays. Visit midweek and you may have this natural wonderland to yourself.
Muzzlewood track combines the exhilarating thrill of a mountain bike adventure, with the natural beauty of the Snowy Mountains, only 22km from Jindabyne.
Starting from either Thredbo Diggings campground or Bullocks Flat Skitube Carpark D, the track winds around Muzzlewood Wetland. The wetland teems with waterbirds, so keep an eye out for cormorants, pelicans and black swans.
This 30min ride, or 1hr walk, is graded intermediate, so expect some steep hills and a few tricky obstacles (and sometimes animals) on the narrow track. It’s a great alternative to the nearby section of Thredbo Valley track, if you’re looking to test your mountain bike skills.
Try not to be distracted by the views of the Ramshead Range, which can be capped with snow at any time of year. In spring and early summer, flowering shrubs such as gorse bitter pea, and a variety of wattle add a splash of colour along the track.
Return the way you came or loop back via Thredbo Valley track. For a longer ride, continue along Thredbo Valley track towards Thredbo Village, or try the more remote Lower Thredbo Valley track extension, across the Skitube bridge from Bullocks Hut.
From family-friendly mountain biking or challenging technical rides, to guided tours and fishing experiences, Thredbo Valley track has options to suit everyone.
The free NSW National Parks app lets you download maps and explore parks, things to do and places to stay—all without mobile reception.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Snowy Region Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 5pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 6450 5600
- 49 Kosciuszko Road, Jindabyne NSW 2627
- in the Thredbo-Perisher area of Kosciuszko National Park in the Snowy Mountains region
- The Thredbo-Perisher area is open all year, but some roads and trails may close due to weather conditions or park management issues. Kosciuszko Road is closed between Perisher and Charlotte Pass in winter (June to October long weekends).
Park entry fees apply on Alpine Way and Kosciuszko Road
Winter (June to October long weekends): $29 per vehicle per day (24hrs from purchase); motorcycles $12; bus passengers $11.45 per adult, $3.60 per child per day. Find out more about the winter entry surcharge.
Rest of Year: $17 per vehicle per day (24hrs); motorcycles $7; bus passengers $6.60 per adult, $2.20 per child per day.
Passes: Day passes, multi-day passes and annual All Parks Pass available from NPWS visitor centres, local agents and operating vehicle entry stations. Read our Annual Pass FAQs for information. Short Breaks Pass: $68 for 5 days park entry at price of 4 days (not valid winter). Eligible pensioners can apply for a complementary NPWS concession pass, to get free park entry. Download the exemption form (154KB doc).Buy annual pass