Loftus loop trail
Royal National Park
Grab your mountain bike and hit the Loftus loop trail in Sydney's Royal National Park. This 10km mountain bike ride is sure to get your heart pumping.
- 10km loop
- Time suggested
- 1hr 30min
- Entry fees
Vehicle entry fees apply for cars, buses, and motorcycles.
- Please note
- You can start the ride from the NPWS office at 159 Farnell Avenue
- There are a number of linking loops, so you can choose a short ride or a long ride (15mins to 4hrs)
- It’s a good idea to download the Cycling in Royal National Park guide on your mobile
- Take care at tramway crossings – remember, trams have right of way at all times.
Starting and finishing at the NPWS office – although you can begin at any location in the loop – Loftus loop trail winds around Loftus Oval. Though easy in parts, the 10km Loftus loop trail is bound to get your heart rate up.
You’ll cover 8km of trail, along with 2km of designated bike track. Terrain changes from flat, wide trails to steep, single-track trails that can be a little rocky under your tyres. There are some steep sections around Temptation Creek, so it’s best to walk these if you’re an inexperienced rider. This diverse terrain makes Loftus loop trail one of Royal National Park’s most enjoyable cycling trails.
When you're done cycling your heart out, stop off at the Audley Dance Hall Café for a bite to eat, or unroll a blanket for a picnic lunch at Ironbark Flat picnic area.
Take a virtual tour of Loftus loop trail captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
The conservation and coastal engravings project in the Royal National Park is working to preserve one of the region’s finest expressions of Aboriginal culture: the Jibbon Headland Aboriginal engravings. A new boardwalk and viewing platform limit the foot access that was damaging the engravings, while encroaching soil and vegetation are being removed.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Payment options include Audley Visitor Centre, vehicle entry stations, pay machines and the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass