Lady Carrington Drive
Royal National Park
This historic cycling track near Audley and a short drive from Sydney follows the river and offers birdwatching, pretty picnic areas and history to explore.
- 10km one-way
- Time suggested
- 1-2 hr
- Entry fees
- Park entry fees apply
- What to
- Hat, drinking water, sunscreen
- Please note
- The track is an easy 1-2hr ride or 3hr walk one-way.
- If you're riding a bike, please give way to walkers along this shared track.
- You can organise a car shuffle if cycling or walking one-way in either direction. Ensure you allow plenty of time if travelling the return route.
- Check the weather before you set out as Lady Carrington Drive can become boggy when it rains.
It’s unlikely that Lady Carrington rode a bike along this track, but luckily you can cycle this historic carriage route from Audley in the north to Sir Bertram Stevens Drive in the south.
This easy bike trail is sure to blow out the cobwebs as it follows the Hacking River upstream from Audley. Cycling over 15 creeks, each identified by its Aboriginal name, you’ll also pass blue gums, turpentines and patches of rainforest. Remember to take your binoculars if you want to go birdwatching. Keep your ear out for the mimicking call of the lyrebird and your eyes peeled for lace monitors and echidnas.
With three picnic areas along the track, you’ll have plenty of chances to stop and soak up the atmosphere. At Palona Brook, there’s a short detour to explore the sandstone cave. Organise a car pick up at the other end, take a walk around Forest path, or turn round and do it all again.
Take a virtual tour of Lady Carrington Drive captured with Google Street View Trekker.
Using Google Street View Trekker, we've captured imagery across a range of NSW national parks and attractions. Get a bird's eye view of these incredible landscapes before setting off on your own adventure.
The conservation and coastal engravings project in the Royal National Park is working to preserve one of the region’s finest expressions of Aboriginal culture: the Jibbon Headland Aboriginal engravings. A new boardwalk and viewing platform limit the foot access that was damaging the engravings, while encroaching soil and vegetation are being removed.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Royal National Park Visitor Centre
- 8.30am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 9542 0648
- 1300 072 757 for campground and cottage bookings
- 2 Lady Carrington Drive, Audley, NSW 2232
- in Royal National Park in the Sydney and surrounds and South Coast regions
Royal National Park is open 7am to 8.30pm but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.
Park entry fees:
$12 per vehicle per day. Payment options include Audley Visitor Centre, vehicle entry stations, pay machines and the Park’nPay app.
Vehicles over 8 seats: $4.40 per adult, $2.20 per child (per day). Students on educational programs: $1.10 per student. Teachers/educational supervisors: free (1 adult per 10 students).Buy annual pass