Burramoko Ridge (Hanging Rock) trail
Blackheath area in Blue Mountains National Park
Enjoy mountain biking or a day walk with fantastic gorge views along Burramoko Ridge (Hanging Rock) trails, in the Grose Wilderness of Blue Mountains National Park, near Blackheath.
- 10km return
- Time suggested
- What to
- Drinking water, hat, sunscreen
- Please note
- This trail is in the Grose Wilderness, where cycling and walking groups are limited to 8 people.
- Keep well back from cliff edges at all times, especially when taking photos.
- It's a good idea to fill in the free trip intention form and hire a PLB before you set out. Bring a topographic map and compass or GPS.
For an awe-inspiring day walk or mountain bike ride to view the magnificent Grose Wilderness, Burramoko trail leads along a ridge to a dramatic rocky bluff. This medium difficulty trail is a great nature day trip in the Blue Mountains for bushwalkers and cyclists.
Easily accessed from Blackheath via Ridgewell Road, the trail meanders through heathland and open forest. In spring, look out for distinctive red waratahs, and grass trees that bloom with creamy coloured flowers.
If you're cycling, leave your bike at the turning circle at the end of the trail to walk up the short, bush track to the unfenced Baltzer lookout, also known as Hanging Rock. Please take extreme care around the cliff edge drop off. Breathe in the pure mountain air as you enjoy the sublime views of Hanging Rock and the Grose Valley.
With all that crisp mountain air and exercise, you might want to bring a picnic lunch to enjoy with the million dollar views. If you love the thrill of cycling check out Mount Banks road cycling route.
Subscribe to our Naturescapes e-newsletter which is packed with the latest information, experiences and events in NSW national parks. Your next park adventure starts here.
Bush Trackers was created to encourage children to engage with the environment in and around the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage area. This program highlights the natural and cultural splendour of the greater Blue Mountains through education initiatives and bushwalks.
- National Parks Contact Centre
- 7am to 7pm daily
- 1300 072 757 (13000 PARKS) for the cost of a local call within Australia excluding mobiles
- Blue Mountains Heritage Centre and Blackheath office
- 9am to 4.30pm daily. Closed Christmas Day.
- 02 4787 8877
- 270 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath NSW 2785
- in the Blackheath area of Blue Mountains National Park in the Sydney and surrounds region
Blackheath area is always open but may have to close at times due to poor weather or fire danger.